Employees can make a difference by being aware of energy and resources used in the workplace. The Country Environment Coordinators (CEC) network, supported by GEC, organises and encourages employee participation in activities that address environmental issues of relevance in their markets.
Raising awareness about environmental responsibilities
To communicate our environmental work, we use a variety of tools, ranging from eLearning modules for new employees to internal newsletters. Our communication tools include:
- Our partnership with WWF on a jointly sponsored digital magazine, PLANETdigimag, which updates staff with news on our activities to reduce Standard Chartered’s carbon footprint. Content varies from case studies on flagship offices with solar panels in Asia to biodiversity projects in South America;
- Our global e-newsletter, The Insider. This has a bi-monthly Country Profile feature for CECs to share their best practice initiatives and highlight successes in their teams;
- An intranet platform, introduced to encourage sharing of ideas on environmental initiatives;
- Our carbon calculator, which helps people estimate their environmental impact, both at home and work, and offers ideas on how to reduce their footprint; and
- Our Right Start programme for all new joiners. This includes specific information regarding their environmental responsibility in the workplace.